It is estimated that there are over 15.5 million dogs suffering from arthritis right now – many of whom are silently suffering. Arthritis is defined as inflammation in the joint, and it may be accompanied by pain, discomfort and/or stiffness. There are 5 general areas which are most succeptible to arthritic change: hips, knees, elbows, […]
Dr. James St. Clair of TopDog Health and Rehabilitation shows a simple, informative technique of measuring hind leg muscle to help track your dog’s progress during recovery from CCL surgery or throughout Conservative Management.
Help! My dog is limping – Could it be a torn ligament? This guide is a good starting place for anyone looking for more information on dog knee problems, specifically cruciate ligament injury in dogs. This article will give an overview of dog knee injuries covering everything from symptoms to recovery. What is a Cruciate […]
In dogs, the cruciate ligament tends to undergo degenerative changes that weaken it prior to rupturing. This very different from ACL injuries in people, where rupture is often associated with a traumatic injury as a result of an accident or incident while taking part in activities like skiing or playing football. While the human ACL […]
Cranial cruciate ligament tears and ruptures can happen to any dog (or cat, although it is not nearly as common), but there are certain risk factors that make particular breeds of dogs more susceptible to this type of damage. CCL injuries are one of the most common orthopedic injuries in dogs, and is the most […]
When there is a joint injury like a cranial cruciate ligament (CCL) rupture, it is important for the vet to try to preserve the menisci to the greatest extent possible. Loss of all or part of a stifle’s meniscus has the potential to accelerate the breakdown of articular cartilage with resultant DJD (Degenerative Joint Disease). […]
It is common for dogs with cranial cruciate ligament damage to also have injury to the mensicus. Simply put, the meniscus is a secondary structure in the knee that helps to provide lubrication for the joint, while also functioning in shock absorption and weight bearing. The menisci (plural for meniscus) are pads between the bones […]
TTA is the abbreviation for tibial tuberosity advancement. The TTA is among the newer techniques for cranial cruciate ligament repair of the canine stifle, making its appearance roughly 10 years ago. The TTA technique was developed in 2002 at the University of Zurich, and, biomechanically speaking, the procedure is very similar to the TPLO, without […]
**UPDATE 2/2011 – The information below regarding UPenn Veterinary’s stance on TPLO surgeries is no longer correct. UPenn is, in fact, performing TPLOs on dogs. I will keep up the link to the article below discussing their previous stance toward TPLO so that people may have access to all of the information. Everything else in […]
TPLO, also known as Tibial Plateau Leveling Osteotomy, is a surgical procedure in which the head of the tibia is surgically altered and plated to create a new joint angle. A new angle is created in the stifle to prevent the femur from sliding off of the tibia. This is a very invasive procedure, as […]
- Mishka – TPLO Surgery and Recovery May 28, 2018
- Nigel- TPLO -Broken Drill Bit & Other Complications August 24, 2018
- Conservative Management and Holistic Treatment – Muffin April 18, 2018
- Callie – CCL, TTA Surgery with Complications August 9, 2018
- Murphy – TPLO Surgery Complication June 27, 2018
- Chubi Shitzu/Pincher/Pug August 27, 2018
- Brewster – Ruptured CCL July 27, 2018
- How To Confine Your Dog After TPLO Surgery: March 15, 2019
- Benry – Band surgery March 15, 2019
- Bikini – Double Torn CCL Conservative Management March 8, 2019
- How To Prepare Your Home For Conservative Management March 1, 2019
- Can A Dog Live With A Torn ACL? February 14, 2019
- Roxie – TPLO Surgery December 22, 2018
- Buddy – Torn ACL, Conservative Management October 19, 2018
- Josie: now my dog is going in on the 2nd and I have a mat...
- Dawn: Where did you have this done?...
- Cherie Brinkley: What is Conservative Management? We have a 12 yr....
- Alex: My American Pitbull 2yrs 55lbs had the clicking as...
- Suzy mom: Well my suzy went to have the tplo and the vet sto...
- Vickie: These are awesome suggestions! It was a long 4 mon...
- Vickie: To all those who are reading in preparation for su...
- Dog ACL Surgery
- Conservative Management
- Dog Knee Brace
- Financial Assistance
- Read Stories
- Watch Video