The degree of ‘lameness’ that a dog experiences after a torn ACL really depends on the extent of the tear. Minor sprains and tears will leave the dog with a mild limp, while complete ruptures may completely prevent basic mobility for your dog. In most cases dogs can walk with a torn ACL. This walk […]
Archive | RecoveryRSS feed for this section
The size of the dog who has injured their ACL is relevant in both the success of the surgery and overall recovery. When it comes to tearing cranial cruciate ligament, smaller dogs are at an absolute advantage over their larger counterparts in all areas. Studies suggest that not only is surgery more successful in smaller […]
Dog knee surgery is both a financial investment as well as a time and energy commitment. With so much on the line for both dog and owner the hope is that surgery is successful. Statistically, the odds are in favor of those who commit to dog knee surgery with a reported success rate of 85%-95% […]
The recovery process after dog knee surgery will often determine how successful the surgery is. This means that the owner takes an active role to ensure that all portions of postoperative protocol are followed to ensure the highest success rate. Walking a dog after surgery will involve slow incremental changes to frequency, duration, and challenge. […]
My 12-year-old (best estimate of his age) Bordie-Collie mix (and breed) injured his CCL on 5/11/21. He is about 50 lbs. I adopted him from the Humane Society 8 years ago. We were able to get in to see the vet within a few hours of his injury and a CCL tear was diagnosed based […]
Knees in both humans and dogs are complex, ultimately it does require a professional veterinarian to diagnose the extent of your dog’s knee injury. However there are some signs and symptoms to be aware of so that you, the owner can get a general sense of what may be going on with your dog’s injured […]
Can a dog tear the same ACL twice? After your dog has TPLO surgery, the last thing you want your furry friend to deal with is another injury. TPLO surgery is a fairly common repair that makes the dog’s leg function again without the ligament. Although the odds of retearing the same ACL are low […]
We are on round 2 with dog #2 on concervative managment for CCL tear with my dogs. My first story is my harrier hound, Birdie, who went lame on a walk with me at the age of 11. Like everyone else here the doctor pushed the surgery and the arthritis speil. I don’t know, it […]
My sweet (about to be 14 next month) English Springer Spaniel who is still quite healthy (although slowing down)….has had the start of arthritis and somehow managed to jump off the last step just right on Monday, May 27 (Memorial Day)…that she slipped….came up limping and turns out she tore her ACL. Vet can’t say […]
- Tovah’s Story: Complete ACL Tear Surgery June 4, 2021
- QLF Surgery: What Is It and Is It The Best Option For Your Dog’s Torn ACL? June 6, 2021
- Tedy’s Story: Conservative Management June 8, 2021
- Dog Limping After Knee Surgery April 19, 2021
- Dog ACL Surgery Cost in 2021 Dog: Find Out What The Cost Of Dog Knee Surgery Is Near You May 4, 2021
- Dog Knee Sprains vs. ACL Tear – How to Tell May 26, 2021
- How To Prevent Dog ACL Injuries May 29, 2021
- How To Prevent Knee Injury In Your Rescue Dog: You May Be Able To Help Prevent The Trauma Of Knee Injury October 9, 2021
- Surgery Financing For Dog Cruciate Ligament Repair September 23, 2021
- Partial Cruciate Ligament Tears In Dogs- Is Surgery Needed? September 19, 2021
- Can A Dog Walk With A Torn ACL? September 17, 2021
- Do Dog Braces Work For CCL Tears? August 13, 2021
- Dog Knee Surgery Success Rates: TPLO, Tightrope, TTA, and Traditional Extracapsular Repair Surgery August 10, 2021
- Does A Dog’s Size Impact Surgery Success For Cruciate Ligament Repair? August 6, 2021
- Nat: Hi, I know it's been a long while since you wrote...
- Nat: Would you mind sharing what route you ended up goi...
- Nat: Does anyone reading thus have experience with usin...
- Katie: Thank you for sharing your experience! Our dog had...
- Paula: For our 50lb red nose we did the laser therapy a c...
- Nat: Thanks for responding. My dog is 65lbs so I'm ho...
- Paula: My vet said surgery was an option but not necessar...
- Dog ACL Surgery
- Conservative Management
- Dog Knee Brace
- Financial Assistance
- Read Stories
- Watch Video