Everything You Need To Know About Post Operative Care Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) Surgery is a complex procedure on your dog’s hind knee joint that demands specific protocol during the post-operative phase to ensure a successful recovery. If you are considering ACL surgery for your dog or have already booked the operation then you will […]
Archive | Physical TherapyRSS feed for this section
There are two separate aspects to jogging. First you will want to show your dog to Walk to Jog, then Jog to Run. Make sure your dog is using the injured leg 100% at a slow walk before even considering jogging. Dr. James St. Clair of TopDog Health and Rehabilitation gives us tips on how […]
Dr. James St. Clair of TopDog Health and Rehabilitation demonstrates stair exercises for dogs with cruciate ligament injuries. Like many of the other exercises, stairs should only be incorporated when your dog is ready, i.e. using the leg fully while walking without any discomfort. Controlling your speed during this exercise is key – The slower […]
PROM or Passive range of motion exercises are an important part of canine physical therapy following a cranial cruciate ligament (CCL) injury. PROM exercises are useful whether your dog has undergone surgery such as a TTA, TPLO, traditional repair, etc. or if you’ve chosen to do Conservative Management. The goal of PROMs are to increase […]
When massaging your dog following a cranial cruciate ligament (ACL or CCL) injury it is important not to just focus on the injured knee joint, but the entire body, especially when initiating the massage. Some of the benefits of canine massage include: enhancing the human-animal bond, relieving pain and decreasing swelling. Dr. James suggests a […]
Dr. James St. Clair of TopDog Health and Rehabilitation discusses the importance of mastering controlled leash walking with your dog during their recovery from a cruciate ligament (CCL or ACL) injury. Making sure your dog maintains a reasonable amount of exercise during the recovery process helps your dog to learn to use the injured leg […]
TopDog Health and Rehabilitation’sDr. James St. Clair show us how to master the “Sit to Stand Exercise” – which are basically squats for dogs. Dr. James suggests viewing your role in your dog’s recovery as that of a personal trainer, focusing on the form. When performed properly, this exercise can be a powerful asset to […]
Ensuring your dog maintains a light amount of controlled exercise during the recovery process helps your dog re-learn to use the injured leg again, rebuilds muscle and may prevent injury of the opposite leg. Dr. James St. Clair of TopDog Health and Rehabilitation shows us the Figure 8 Exercise, and provides tips on how you […]
Cavaletti Pole Exercises are an excellent way to help increases strength and improves your dog’s balance. Dr. James St. Clair of TopDog Health and Rehabilitation explains the best way to use the Cavaletti Poles to help your dog heal and rebuild muscle, strength and balance following a cruciate ligament injury. At TopDog Health and Rehabilitation, […]
Please note – this exercise SHOULD NOT be performed until your dog is back to 100% with the injured leg. Curb walking is a simple, effective technique that can be easily incorporated into your dog’s daily walking routine. Dr. James St. Clair of TopDog Health and Rehabilitation demonstrates curb walking and discusses how it can […]
- Callie – CCL, TTA Surgery with Complications August 9, 2018
- Nigel- TPLO -Broken Drill Bit & Other Complications August 24, 2018
- Benry – Band surgery March 15, 2019
- Can A Dog Live With A Torn ACL? February 14, 2019
- Chubi Shitzu/Pincher/Pug August 27, 2018
- Brewster – Ruptured CCL July 27, 2018
- How To Prepare Your Home For Conservative Management March 1, 2019
- Marley – Double TPLO Surgery *Update* July 22, 2019
- Buddy – Double ACL Injuries June 14, 2019
- Dixie – Double Lateral Suture Stabilization June 10, 2019
- Olivia, Conservative Management (Recent Injury) June 8, 2019
- Marley- Conservative Management May 7, 2019
- The Cost Of Dog ACL Surgery In 2019 April 2, 2019
- What To Expect After Dog ACL Surgery March 25, 2019
- Samantha: I'm 6 months out from TPLO and now have a clickin...
- Trisha: Wow, what a struggle for you and your dog. Thank ...
- Diane hawkins: Awaiting your response in regards to luxating pate...
- Di hawkins: Where do I get knee brace from. All kinds of info-...
- Joyce Sparks: Just wanted to share Leo's story. We knew somethi...
- Susan: I am very interested in reading all the posts abou...
- Marley - Double TPLO Surgery *Update* | Dog Knee Injury: […] wrote an article here a few months ago o...
- Dog ACL Surgery
- Conservative Management
- Dog Knee Brace
- Financial Assistance
- Read Stories
- Watch Video