The first twenty-four hours after your dog tears their ACL are critical for long term recovery. So, what can you as a dog owner do the first few moments, hours following a hind knee injury in your dog? A torn ACL in a dog is by far the most common orthopedic injury in dogs, and […]
Archive | Non-Surgical OptionsRSS feed for this section
First Aid For Torn ACL In Dogs: What Can You Do In The First 24 Hours After Your Dog Has Torn Or Partially Torn Their ACL?
The cost of pet ownership comes with a high price tag, a price many Americans are willing to pay with over 63 million dog owners in the US alone. Americans spend $1 billion on pet insurance each year, and while this can be a great option for many dog owner’s, it is not the only […]
The pet industry is a multi billion dollar a year venture, and this includes veterinarian care. Naturally, there are situations when surgery is the only option, but like any profit driven business, a clinic makes more money if more dogs are undergoing extensive surgery. So, does your dog really need surgery with a partial cruciate […]
The most common joint injury in dogs is partial or complete tear of the stifle (aka the hind knee). So common is this injury, that the National Institute of Health has produced an increasing number of peer reviewed journals on the matter that explore a wide variety of topics from which surgery choices are most […]
The size of the dog who has injured their ACL is relevant in both the success of the surgery and overall recovery. When it comes to tearing cranial cruciate ligament, smaller dogs are at an absolute advantage over their larger counterparts in all areas. Studies suggest that not only is surgery more successful in smaller […]
Invasive and expensive surgery options for torn CCLs in dogs may not be available or appealing to many dog owners. Luckily there are both older and emerging alternatives to surgery that are available to this demographic. If you are looking for alternative care for your dog’s torn ACL, then it will not take long to […]
Most pet owners have a strong emotional bond to their animal, and it may surprise them that dog knee surgeries account for over 1.3 billion dollars a year in the US alone. So with such a strong fiscal record, is surgery always necessary for partial ACL tears in dogs? The advice surrounding the best treatment […]
Knees in both humans and dogs are complex, ultimately it does require a professional veterinarian to diagnose the extent of your dog’s knee injury. However there are some signs and symptoms to be aware of so that you, the owner can get a general sense of what may be going on with your dog’s injured […]
Bikini during conservative management of double CCL tears In late August 2018, I noticed my 7-years old English bulldog Bikini, showed some lameness (rear right leg) off and on for a bit. After 2-3 weeks, seeing this was not going away that she was now hesitant to go up and down the stairs, not following […]
Deciding to treat your canine pet’s injuries with conservative management requires time, energy, and also the commitment to prepare your home in an optimal fashion to support your dog’s recovery. Understanding that rest is a key ingredient for conservative management to be effective means that you will need to limit the space in your home […]
- Tovah’s Story: Complete ACL Tear Surgery June 4, 2021
- QLF Surgery: What Is It and Is It The Best Option For Your Dog’s Torn ACL? June 6, 2021
- Tedy’s Story: Conservative Management June 8, 2021
- Dog Limping After Knee Surgery April 19, 2021
- Dog ACL Surgery Cost in 2021 Dog: Find Out What The Cost Of Dog Knee Surgery Is Near You May 4, 2021
- Dog Knee Sprains vs. ACL Tear – How to Tell May 26, 2021
- How To Prevent Dog ACL Injuries May 29, 2021
- First Aid For Torn ACL In Dogs: What Can You Do In The First 24 Hours After Your Dog Has Torn Or Partially Torn Their ACL? November 3, 2021
- How To Prevent Knee Injury In Your Rescue Dog: You May Be Able To Help Prevent The Trauma Of Knee Injury October 9, 2021
- Surgery Financing For Dog Cruciate Ligament Repair September 23, 2021
- Partial Cruciate Ligament Tears In Dogs- Is Surgery Needed? September 19, 2021
- Can A Dog Walk With A Torn ACL? September 17, 2021
- Do Dog Braces Work For CCL Tears? August 13, 2021
- Dog Knee Surgery Success Rates: TPLO, Tightrope, TTA, and Traditional Extracapsular Repair Surgery August 10, 2021
- Jax Waters: Thank you so much for this article. I've been non...
- Tiffany: Hi. My dog had both of her cruciates repaired last...
- Nat: Hi, I know it's been a long while since you wrote...
- Nat: Would you mind sharing what route you ended up goi...
- Nat: Does anyone reading thus have experience with usin...
- Katie: Thank you for sharing your experience! Our dog had...
- Paula: For our 50lb red nose we did the laser therapy a c...
- Dog ACL Surgery
- Conservative Management
- Dog Knee Brace
- Financial Assistance
- Read Stories
- Watch Video