My husband and I have three four-legged kids. Are, a 3 yr old 60 lb Pitbull; Stevie, a 1.5 yr old 12 lb Mini-schnauzer; and Athena, an approx 8 month old 72 lb Mastive-mix. This is Athena’s story…
Every day I come home for lunch (I am lucky to work close to home) and let my dogs out, have a quick bite to eat, love on them and back to work I go. One afternoon six months ago, I come home for lunch, let Ares and Stevie out in the backyard while I go out front to check the mail. I walked into the living room and see two dog butts wagging wildly. I thought, oh no, what do they have…
What they had was a tiny tiny puppy. A puppy IN the middle of my livingroom! She was just weened, and barely cutting her milk teeth. Someone had tossed her over our six foot privacy fence. Either A: to see what a pitbull would do to a puppy, or B: knowing this house already has dogs and thus giving her to a good home. Needless to say, my pitbull DID NOT eat her, instead brought her in the house and was standing over her, when I walked in.
I was in disbelief. I immediately went looking for holes in the backyard that maybe she could’ve crawled through, there were none. It was then that I knew someone just threw her away.
After checking her out to mke sure she had no injuries or noticeable maladies, I called my husband, telling him about my interesting lunch. I set up Stevie’s old puppy crate for her and went back to work.
After beginnig her life like that, we decided to make her part of the family. Ares and Stevie already had. Two days later I had her at the vet and all was working like clock work.
Until today’s vet visit…
It was time for her next round of shots, and I noticed her limping the last few days. We felt around her foot and hip but there were no signs of pain or discomfort, so I figured it was a sore muscle and would talk to the doc when I brought her in.
I was not prepared for the diagnosis. Ruptured cruciate ligament. Recommendation: TPLO surgery. ASAP. Estimated cost: $3,500.
I walked out with my gimpy girl with tears streaming down my face. Called my husband to weigh our options. Which weren’t promising. But I knew we would find a way to pay the $3,500. And I did. But, I found a lot more… lots of information.
We have decided it will be best to try the CM method first. She’s still so young, with a brace and meds she might be just fine. If not, she’ll get the surgery. I just couldn’t let that be the first and only option for her. And thanks to this and other sites, I have other methods to try first.
So today is day one of CM therapie.
Thank every one who took the time to post on this site.
P.S. To everyone who cannot afford the expensive surgery all at once, I applied for and was approved for Care Credit. Interest free for up to 12 months. This route may be helpful for some.