After stumbling upon this website about a year ago, I thought it’d be good to share my own experiences with my dog and conservative management. Taking it back a bit, it all started in February 2016. I have a pretty active 8 year old (7 yo at the time) 85 lb chocolate labrador named Finn. […]
Archive | RecoveryRSS feed for this section
Molly is a 6 year old Golden Retriever. Today marks 8 days post-op, and Molly is doing well. She had surgery 2 days following the CCL tear. It was helpful that she had surgery on the day we left for Christmas vacation (we felt very guilty) because Molly had access to the Animal Hospital’s professional […]
For many people who face the possibility of surgery for their dog, a common concern is the price. And it can be expensive, but sometimes it’s the only option. This post is to help give you an idea of the total cost of dog knee injury-related procedures, including the surgery itself, post-op care, any extra […]
Initially we tried conservative management with my pit/shepherd mix Blu because I did not want to put him through surgery. We had some success with that for about a year until I got another dog and he reinjured it rough housing. We tried CM again but this time he wasn’t improving so we made the […]
Blue is a 2-year-old pit bull who stole my heart the day I laid eyes on her. She was 8 weeks when we got her. She began to have problems with her hind right leg and when we took her for x-rays, they discovered the torn ACL. She was barely a year old. We were […]
There are many ways to help your dog heal after surgery, such as acupuncture, massage, or turmeric paste. Another treatment you may have heard of is photonic light therapy, which uses a laser with red or near-infrared light to penetrate damaged cells at specific points on the body. A laser, in the simplest terms, is an amplifier […]
What It Is Turmeric, an herb known for its bright orange color, has long been used in its native Middle Eastern and Southeast Asian countries as a staple for not only cooking and clothing dye, but also as medicine. For thousands of years, Chinese medicine, for example, has incorporated herbal remedies as part of its holistic […]
Hydrotherapy comes from Greek words meaning “water healing,” and can be a great option for post-operative dogs, as well as for dogs suffering from hip dysplasia, the amputation of a limb, a spinal injury, paralysis, obesity, fractures, or arthritis. Hydrotherapy uses the properties of water — buoyancy, viscosity, resistance, and hydrostatic pressure — to enable a dog to […]
Our 8-year-old Goldendoodle Lucy was at our dog boarder while we were on vacation and we received an email that she had injured herself running while off leash. We picked her up a few days later and realized it was much worse than what they had described; she was trying to walk on 3 legs, […]
An exciting new surgical option has been developed for treatment of canine cruciate injuries. It is called Simitri Stable in Stride®, invented by Dr. Neil Embleton and Dr. Veronica Barkowski in Alberta, Canada. Dr. Embleton has almost 30 years of experience in treating canine cruciate injuries and has performed at least six thousand repairs, conservatively. He is certified in […]
- Surgery vs. Alternative Treatment – Dhani Doberman January 12, 2016
- New Emerging Treatment: Simitri Stable in Stride April 18, 2016
- Conservative Management Success – Annabelle March 21, 2016
- Surgery vs. Conservative Management – Sophie April 26, 2016
- Conservative Management vs. Surgery – Bella November 9, 2016
- Undecided Treatment – Roxy February 25, 2016
- Traditional Tightrope – Shelbie January 8, 2016
- Conservative Management Success – Finn the Chocolate Lab January 11, 2017
- Conservative Management Experience with an Active Dog – Diesel January 10, 2017
- Molly the Golden Retriever – CCL Injury with TPLO Surgery January 4, 2017
- Veterinary Prolotherapy December 20, 2016
- Conservative Management – Lucy the Corgi November 30, 2016
- Cost of CCL Surgery for Dogs November 28, 2016
- Conservative Management – Juni November 25, 2016
- Dr. Neil Embleton: Hi Pam, I've sent an email to a surgeon in LV. I...
- Supplementation for Fur Babies – The Adventures of Mister Wilson: […] Great Site for what to expect! […]...
- Mandy: Hi Cheryl, thanks for the message. The brace is ...
- Pam Heiney: Hello Dr. Embleton. We have a 6.5 YO flat-coat...
- ANDREA JONES WEBBER: Hi Dianne I know this is an old post but found ...
- Cheryl Stitzer: Hi Mandy, I asked the same question. If you scro...
- Lucy: Thank you Shaun, I am very impressed by this brace...
- Dog ACL Surgery
- Conservative Management
- Dog Knee Brace
- Financial Assistance
- Read Stories
- Watch Video