Among the many alternative therapies for a CCL injury is one you may or may not have heard of: prolotherapy. Prolotherapy (“prolo” is short for proliferation) is an injection technique used to stimulate the growth of healthy connective tissue to help strengthen torn or weakened ligaments and tendons and eliminate chronic pain. Prolotherapy has been used successfully on […]
Archive | Non-Surgical OptionsRSS feed for this section
We have a wonderful Corgi named Lucy who will be turning 2 years old the first week of December. We picked her up from a breeder with a good history. She is pretty active at home with her step-brother Corgi Charlie, but at the dog park she doesn’t like to play; shes an explorer. At […]
Our 8-year-old Goldendoodle Lucy was at our dog boarder while we were on vacation and we received an email that she had injured herself running while off leash. We picked her up a few days later and realized it was much worse than what they had described; she was trying to walk on 3 legs, […]
MacDuff is an almost 15-year-old terrier mix who weighs 21 lbs and is very healthy but 2 weeks ago he injured his back right knee and we’ve been told he needs a unilateral TPLO for $5,000 with an estimated 8 weeks of recovery. I initially said yes but then started wondering if that would be […]
Three months ago in February, my Scottie Terrier, Sophie, tore her CCL. She is 22.5 lbs and 7 years old. She had x-rays and saw two different vets, one being an orthopedic who recommend the band surgery. He manipulated it and said it was completely torn (not sure if he can really tell?) Anyway, I […]
My 9-year-old 64 lb Kaylie became critically ill in June 2015 and was diagnosed with canine systemic lupus (which acts very much like human lupus) but luckily I found a wonderful internal medicine vet who is very knowledgable in this area. Through immunosuppressive drugs–Prednisone and Imuran among them–she has been in remission since mid-summer 2015, […]
I joined this community because my 3-year-old Lab, Jackson, was just diagnosed with a partial cruciate ligament tear. The vet receommended surgery, and said it didn’t need to be done right away, but eventually it would. After going home upset at the though of putting my poor baby under the knife, I began researching other […]
I cannot praise this website enough and thank you to everyone who has contributed. I feel qualified to give my 100% endorsement to using the conservative management method because I have experienced both TPLO surgery and opting out of surgery and following the CM method. There is NO WAY that I would ever recommend the […]
My dog has been favoring a back leg for months, but not been lame. He was playing, landed on my other dog, and yelped. At the time I thought it could have been a muscle strain, so I kept him on the lead for two weeks but to be fair he wasn’t lame! I took […]
The following is a story from an owner that was derived from an email exchange: My 11-year-old miniature poodle has an ACL injury to her rear left leg from chasing a squirrel. Her vet said I should take her to an orthopedic specialist for his opinion. He felt, however, that at her age this might […]
- Surgery vs. Alternative Treatment – Dhani Doberman January 12, 2016
- New Emerging Treatment: Simitri Stable in Stride April 18, 2016
- Conservative Management Success – Annabelle March 21, 2016
- Surgery vs. Conservative Management – Sophie April 26, 2016
- Conservative Management vs. Surgery – Bella November 9, 2016
- Undecided Treatment – Roxy February 25, 2016
- Traditional Tightrope – Shelbie January 8, 2016
- Conservative Management Success – Finn the Chocolate Lab January 11, 2017
- Conservative Management Experience with an Active Dog – Diesel January 10, 2017
- Molly the Golden Retriever – CCL Injury with TPLO Surgery January 4, 2017
- Veterinary Prolotherapy December 20, 2016
- Conservative Management – Lucy the Corgi November 30, 2016
- Cost of CCL Surgery for Dogs November 28, 2016
- Conservative Management – Juni November 25, 2016
- Dr. Neil Embleton: Hi Pam, I've sent an email to a surgeon in LV. I...
- Supplementation for Fur Babies – The Adventures of Mister Wilson: […] Great Site for what to expect! […]...
- Mandy: Hi Cheryl, thanks for the message. The brace is ...
- Pam Heiney: Hello Dr. Embleton. We have a 6.5 YO flat-coat...
- ANDREA JONES WEBBER: Hi Dianne I know this is an old post but found ...
- Cheryl Stitzer: Hi Mandy, I asked the same question. If you scro...
- Lucy: Thank you Shaun, I am very impressed by this brace...
- Dog ACL Surgery
- Conservative Management
- Dog Knee Brace
- Financial Assistance
- Read Stories
- Watch Video